Did you ever get frustrated by not getting into top 10 search results of Google?
We all have gone through this stage. As a matter of fact, lots of big businesses struggled on how to improve their website visibility in the beginning.
Google is going through different changes every year – which make the online competition harder and more complex. Talk about their Panda, Hummingbird and Penguin algorithms that we will discuss shortly. These changes make both users and business owners wiser in making decision and taking actions.
What is SEO?
You may have wondered what is SEO when you first heard it from us. So, here is a very simple explanation of what is it and how it works.
SEO, or Search Engine Optimisation, is when you try to rank your website for a particular keyword or search terms used by your audience.
For instance, you are selling dresses across Sydney and your target audience uses “online shop for dresses Sydney” to search for relevant websites. According to statistics, users search up to the second page of search results. So if you’re getting the bigger picture, that’s the key phrase you definitely want to rank in if you want to be on top.
SEO is also the process of getting traffic from free or natural listings on search engines like the famous Google. You own a website – so keep in mind that search results matter. More people can easily find you when your page has a higher ranking.
The next question is, how can you be on top of everyone?
How to stay competitive in 2017
SEO is constantly changing because of many algorithm updates such as Panda, Penguin and Hummingbird.
The Panda algorithm changed the structure of publishing content so users are landed to high-quality content. Penguin completely removed low-quality links, spam links and eliminated sites that broke the rules. Hummingbird changed how websites are looked at in terms of their content and SEO strategies. It also gave heavier focus on semantic search.
Here are 5 ways on how you can stay competitive in 2017:
- Produce more value-adding content
- Have a keyword list where you want to rank in
- Install plugins to improve SEO (e.g. Yoast Premium)
- Update old blogs so information is timely and fresh
- Maximise the power of social media to share your content
Take note however that SEO is not an overnight success. It takes lots of patience and some time to see the results. Consistency is what you need to get higher traffic in the long run. It is also worthwhile to be updated with the latest trends in digital and content marketing as they highly impact your SEO.
What do these updates mean?
The constant algorithm updates signify that SEO, as a whole, would be more sophisticated and competitive. In essence, here are techniques which are considered to be deadly for SEO:
- Paying too much attention to optimising keywords alone is deadly. Keep on producing quality-driven content to your site because this is what Google loves.
- Guest blogging isn’t dead yet. BUT, guest posting to low-quality sites does not impact your ranking. We encourage you to choose sites with a domain authority score of 25 and above.
- Buying and/or exchanging links are big no-no’s today. On top of it, these strategies are very unprofessional. Earning links organically is the best way to be linked to by other sites. This strategy boils down into producing value-adding content that are useful and informative.
- Do not duplicate content. One, it suffers your rankings. Two, you lose traffic in the long run. We suggest to have an experienced content marketer to help you strategising your content creation.
It’s essential to invest in on-page and off-page SEO because:
- Google is now separating the algorithm for mobile and desktop. Make sure that your website is mobile-friendly to view so users will keep on visiting your site.
- This is a great way not only to increase your site visits but your revenue as well. Provide solutions to your clients’ concerns or problems so you win their trust and be referred to others by them.
- More people rely on Google to search products and services. Every second, Google processes 40,000 search queries worldwide. WORLDWIDE!
- It brings you closer to your audience. Engaging in Q&A sites such as Quora is a good channel to deliver your expertise in your niche. This is a good opportunity to share your blog posts to answer questions by the community.
- Investing in on-page and off-page SEO services are stepping stones to your success.
Online visibility is one of the keys to attracting more clients and later on increase your revenue. It is important to stay updated with the latest changes so you progress in achieving goals. More than that, you need to become aware of the do’s and don’ts implemented by search engines when it comes to SEO because:
- They can suspend your website if you unfollow rules
- You might be unaware of compromising the quality of your website
- It helps you come up with new strategies
- And innovate something your competitors haven’t
- It allows you to see the bigger picture of your audience behaviour
And many more when you let us help you doing SEO for your website.
The systEmise team can conduct a full SEO audit on your site to point out reasons why you get poor rankings and revenue. Identifying these problems will boost your site rankings.
If you just started your business or want to increase your ranking this 2017, we offer cost-effective SEO services. Please go here to see our SEO services. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can discuss how to improve your website visibility in search engines.
Grab our eBook NOW!!
Do you want to get more revenue and get clients through great content? Grab your free copy of our eBook: Make Your Content The King for Google.
Did you find this blog helpful? Share this with your colleagues and friends. Click on the social share buttons below.
P.S. Do you know some SEO tips? Share them with us on the comments below.